Notice of Nomination
Public Notice is given to the electors of the Village of Granisle that nominations for the office of:
Councillor – One (1) to be elected
will be received by the Chief Election Officer or a designated person, as follows:
|By hand, mail or other delivery service Village of Granisle #1 Village Square PO Box 128, Granisle, BC||9:00 am Tuesday, September 21, 2021 to 4:00 pm Friday, October 1, 2021 Excluding Statutory holidays and weekends|
|By Fax: 888-335-4682||9:00 am Tuesday, September 21, 2021 to 4:00 pm Friday, October 1, 2021 Excluding Statutory holidays and weekends|
|By email: email@example.com||Originals of faxed or emailed nomination documents must be received by the Chief Election Officer by 5:00 pm on Friday, October 8, 2021|
Nomination forms are available at the Village of Granisle Municipal Office, #1 Village Square from August 25,2021 to the close of nomination period
NOMINATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED AFTER
4:00 pm FRIDAY, OCTOBER 1,2021
Qualifications for Office
A person is qualified to be nominated, elected, and to hold office as a member of local government if they meet the following criteria:
- Canadian citizen;
- 18 years of age or older;
- resident of British Columbia for at least 6 months immediately before the day nomination papers are filed;
- (Optional) a person or the commander of an armed forces unit who has been granted freedom of the municipality, if that person is a Canadian citizen; and
- not disqualified by the Local Government Act or any other enactment from voting in an election in British Columbia or from being nominated for, being elected to, or holding office.
CAMPAIGN PERIOD EXPENSE LIMITS
In accordance with the Local Elections Campaign Financing Act, for the 2021 local by-election, the following expense limit for candidates
during the campaign period applies:
Office of Councillor: $5,000.00
THIRD PARTY ADVERTISING LIMITS
In accordance with the Local Elections Campaign Financing Act, for the 2021 local by-election, the third-party advertising limit is $750.00
For further information on campaign period expense limits and third-party advertising limits, please contact Elections BC:
Toll-free phone: 1-855-952-0280
Electors who wish to vote at this election can complete advanced elector registration from August 25,2021 to
September 6,2021. Electors may also register at the time of voting.
Advanced Elector Registration
Are you eligible to vote in the November elections for Village of Granisle? Are you eligible to vote at the 2021 Local Government By-election? Is your name on the current list of electors?
If you are not sure you can find out by calling or visiting the Village of Granisle, #1 Village Square or at 250-697-2248. The office is open from 8:30 am – 5:00 pm, Monday to Friday (excluding holidays).
Advance elector registrations will be accepted at the Village of Granisle office until September 15,2021. Elector registrations will not be accepted during the period September 16,2021 to November 6,2021 but will be accepted on voting days.
- 18 years of age or older on general voting day for the election or assent voting; and
- A Canadian citizen; and
- A resident of British Columbia for at least 6 months immediately before the day of registration; and
- A registered owner of real property within the Village of Granisle for at least 30 days immediately before the day of registration; and
- The only persons who are registered owners of the property, either as joint tenants or tenants in common, are individuals who are not holding the property in trust for a corporation or another trust; and
- Not entitled to register as a resident elector; and
- Not disqualified under the Local Government Act or any other enactment from voting in an election or assent voting and not otherwise disqualified by law; and
- If there is more than one registered owner if the property, only one of those individuals may, with the written consent of the majority of the owners, register as a non-resident property elector.
List of Registered Electors
Beginning September 21,2021 until the close of general voting for the election on November 6,2021, a copy of the list of registered electors will be available for public inspection, at the Village of Granisle office in Granisle, BC, during regular office hours, Monday to Friday, excluding statutory holidays. Before inspecting the list, a person must sign a statement that they will not inspect the list or use the information included in the list except for the purposes of Part 3 – Electors and Elections of the Local Government Act. An elector may request that their address or other information about them be omitted from or obscured on the list of electors.
Objection to Registration of an Elector
An objection to the registration of a person whose name appears on the list of registered electors may be made in accordance with the Local Government Act until 4:00 pm on October 1,2021. An objection must be in writing and may only be made by a person entitled to be registered as an elector of the Village of Granisle and can only be made on the basis that a person whose name appears on the list of electors has died or that person whose name appears on the list if electors is not qualified to be registered as an elector of the Village of Granisle.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION on these matters, the following persons may be contacted:
Lorna Eftodie, Chief Election Officer at 250-697-2248
Jessie Zhu, Deputy Chief Election Officer at 250-697-2248